More About Your Academic Experience
At UC San Diego, your academic experience is supported by faculty passionate about helping you reach your potential. As an undergraduate, you have a unique opportunity to roll up your sleeves and learn side-by-side with researchers, artists, activists, and experts, extending your academic experience well beyond the classroom and making your education even more relevant and valuable to the careers of tomorrow.
Research Experience and Applied Learning (REAL Portal), or “learning by doing,” is a way for you to find opportunities to practice your classroom knowledge in real-world settings. You’ll grow as a person as you gain new skills and prepare for your career.
International Studies / Social Science
Human Developmental Sciences
Law and Society
Urban Studies & Planning
Natural Science, Math & Engineering
Chemistry & Biochemistry
Computer Science and Engineering
Earth Science at Scripps Institution of Oceanography
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Linguistics / Foreign Language
Literature / Foreign Language
Study of Religion
Theatre & Dance
Interdepartmental / Interdisciplinary
Explore all the majors at UC San Diego here.
UC San Diego faculty are recognized leaders in their fields of study and expertise. That means you have access to some of the best of the best!
Current faculty honors include:
- Nobel Prize - Awarded annually for outstanding contributions to chemistry, physics, physiology and medicine, literature, economics, and peace.
- Fields Medal - Awarded every four years to outstanding mathematicians under 40 years of age.
- The National Medal of Science - Bestowed by the President of the United States to individuals who have made important contributions and advancements in science and engineering.
- Presidential Medal of Freedom - Bestowed by the President of the United States to individuals who have made meritorious contributions to the security or national interest of the United States, world peace, or cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.
- Pulitzer Prize - Awarded annually for achievement in American journalism, literature, or music.
- Kyoto Prize - International award to honor those who have contributed significantly to the scientific, cultural and spiritual betterment of humankind.
- MacArthur Fellows - Awarded annually to individuals in any field who have shown extraordinary originality and dedication to their creative pursuits and a marked capacity for self-direction working in any field.
- Tony Award - Awarded annually for excellence in Broadway theatre.
- Grammy Award - Awarded annually and recognizes achievements in the music industry.
- John von Neumann Theory - Awarded annually to a scholar who has made fundamental, sustained contributions to theory in operations research and the management sciences.
- Academy Award - Awarded annually for artistic and technical merit in the film industry.
- Wolf Prize - Awarded annually in one of the following six fields: agriculture, chemistry, mathematics, medicine, physics, and arts.
Did you know the UC San Diego Library is ranked among the nation’s top 25 public academic libraries?